Thursday, January 29, 2015

Sampson settles in

It's been two weeks since I started fostering Sampson.  At first he was a timid, shy pup who followed me from room to room and had more than a couple anxious accidents in the house.  On the first night, I lifted something above my head (and thus his, since he was always at my feet).  The action made him cower to the ground. Even when I tried to bribe him to lay on the dog bed, he would prefer to lay on the hard wood floor.  The first few nights, he would wake up and stick his nose on my pillow every time I rolled over or moved in bed, just in case my movement meant that I was ready to pet him.   When I was moving around the house, he would lurk around a corner form the next room and watch me.

Now...  He hasn't had an accident in the house in a week (except for one slip up in his crate the other night when I left him alone too long after he drank a bowl of water)!!!!  He greets me from his crate with his tail wagging.  He still sleeps beside me on the floor, but I have to call his name to rouse him in the morning and, if I'm lucky, he'll get up and come to the side of the bed for some pets.  Tonight, I baked a cake in the kitchen and Sampson snoozed from the dog bed, two rooms away.  I am happy to report that he's adjusting well to home life! 

He's had two baths in the last two weeks.  He did well getting the baths.  The first night he just cowered (that was his only move for awhile!).  The second time he struggled a little more.  Now, he avoids my bathroom like it's a torture chamber!  This morning, I was getting ready in the bathroom and tried to entice him to come into see me.  No way would he fall for that trick!  He hid in my room.

I'm attributing his acclimation, in part, to his healthy dose of exercise.  He gets three walks a day.  As soon as I wake up, I let him in the back yard while I start my day.  I bring him in about 10 minutes later and feed him breakfast.  After breakfast, he and Toby go back into the back yard for a bit.  Just before I'm ready to leave, I'll walk him about a half mile and then immediately put him in his crate.  At lunch time, my friend, John, will come by and walk him into downtown Decatur (about 2 miles).  He returns to his crate for the afternoon.  I let him into the backyard when I get home at 6 and then I'll take him for another walk, usually 1-2 miles.  So maybe it's no wonder he's completely tuckered out this evening and seeking refuge on the dog bed! 

If you're interested in adopting Sampson or meeting him, we'll both be at the GRRA adoption event this Sunday.  for details or information about adopting Sam, see www.grra.com

No comments:

Post a Comment