Thursday, June 21, 2012

Guest Blogger

How can you resist this cuteness?
Hi everyone!  It's Buffy!  I am writing this post since my foster mom has been slacking at updating the blog.  (Who would've thought these giant paws could type on a computer?)  I think she got a little discouraged when she discovered it would be harder to find me a forever home than she originally thought.  (You'd think she'd post more, not less to help me find my forever home.)  It's not that I am bad or have many issues, I just need lots of time to settle into a strange environment and some people don't understand that.  But can you blame me?  I was dumped at a high kill shelter in West Virginia.  I was there for a bit.  (I don't remember how long.)  Almost Heaven rescued me from the shelter, but then they found out I was heartworm positive.  I had to go through a rough treatment to make me better.  (I'm better!)  I lived at the rescue for around eight months before I came to my foster home.  That's a lot of change for a young gal like me.  (My foster mom likes to tell people I am around 3-4 years old, but I am a lady so will never reveal my true age.)  Anyway, I promise I will be worth any short time effort to get me acclimated to my new surroundings!  I really do love people.

I have a lot of positives.  I am house-trained.  I walk well on a leash.  (Everyone always compliments me on this.)  I do my business right away (unlike my foster brother, Ollie, who takes FOREVER to do his business.  Boys.)  I know sit and high five (most of the time) and am working on other commands.  I get stay and come mixed up as I tend to stay when I hear "come", and I come when I hear "stay".  Those two are hard!  My foster mom says I am very gentle.  I don't jump, and I like to give nuzzles with my snout.  (I look so cute that she can't resist petting me.)  I can stay home alone with Ollie all day and don't do any damage to the house or have any accidents.  I do sometimes find socks that people left out and like to chew on those, though.  Apparently I am not supposed to do this, but they are so tasty!  My foster mom doesn't understand why I follow her everywhere, even from one room to the next, but I am just looking out for her best interest.  What if she suddenly wants to pet someone and no one is there?  Or maybe she finds a treat in her pocket and needs to get rid of it?  I am only trying to make her happy by constantly being by her side in case she needs me.

Me with my hamburger
My main issue is that I can get a bit growly in strange situations and sometimes protective of my toys.  Some people get scared of my growly noises, but I do it because I am nervous, not because I am mean.  Once I realize I shouldn't be doing this, I roll over on my back for belly rubs.  I know I'm supposed to share my toys, but occasionally I forget.  I am learning that if I do get growly, whatever I have will be taken away for a long time.  My favorite toy is this thing my foster mom calls a hamburger.  There is food inside and if I move it the right way it will let a piece out!  I love food.  It's the best!  My hamburger gets taken away sometimes if Ollie gets too close to me.  Even though I love it the most, my foster parents can take it away easily, even directly out of my mouth.  It makes me sad, but I don't make growly noises at them.  I would never do that to the alphas of the house!  They can also take my food up while I am eating, and I know I need to sit and wait patiently to get it back.


Look at me with my foster cousin!


My biggest accomplishment so far is that I now get along with my foster dog cousin! At first I didn't like him very much.  Well, it's not really that I didn't like him, I just didn't know how I fit into his pack.  Again, I got a little growly which no one liked, but I couldn't help it, I was unsure of my place!  After a few visits we now are friends!  I can even lie next to him on my back and am not scared anymore. 

I hope there is someone out there who will give me a chance.  I really do have a lot of love to give.  I would do best in a quiet household as I get a little frightened when there is too much going on.  Fill out an application if you are willing to give me that chance and take the time it needs to make me feel comfortable.  (It really shouldn't take that long, but maybe a few days.)  I promise to love you forever!


To see all of the available dogs at Almost Heaven, check out their page on petfinder.  They have more than just golden retrievers!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog Buf! Love you and wish you the best. You will find your soulmate soon- i can feel it in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you are right and I find my soul mate soon. That would be the best! Even better than food! (<- bold statement)
      - Buffy

      Delete