Thursday, April 12, 2012

Melia Found Her Forever Home



I have great news!  Melia's new family drove 7 hours, round trip, today to come meet Melia!  They brought Melia's new brother, Max.  Max is a tall, lanky, 3-year old golden rescue.  He didn't pay much attention to Melia and she didn't pay much attention to him.  Instead they were both very interested in getting our attention, but not in a competitive or aggressive manner.   There were plenty of pets, scratches and belly rubs going around! 

As with Doji, it was a bittersweet moment watching Melia leave.  We had Melia for almost 5 weeks and, frankly, I got used to having her around.  But, Melia's adoption means that's one more dog that we'll be able to foster next and one more dog that Almost Heaven will be able to rescue from an untimely and unnecessary death.  AND.... one more family that will eventually find their four legged soul mate.

For the next few weeks I'll be traveling for work.  When I get back, Kirk and I are hosting a fund-raiser for Almost Heaven on Saturday May 5.  We have a one-acre, fenced in back yard and all well-behaved people and their dogs are invited to a cookout and a leash-free romp-n-play.  Jeanne Taylor, pet photographer, will be on hand to take pet portraits and if we get a large enough collection of Almost Heaven dogs-- perhaps we can discuss putting a calendar together for another fund-raiser.  We're asking each family for a $25 donation.  Food, beverage and the portrait sitting will be provided.  If you're interested, please let me know and I'll send you more details.

Until our next foster arrives... I'll provide updates for Doji and Melia and how they're fitting into their new homes! 

If you have any questions about what it takes to be a foster parent for a furkid, please let me know.  It has been a very rewarding experience.  Someone asked me how I can do this and not get attached.  I do get attached.  I get very attached, but when I brought Doji and Melia home, I knew being in my home would increase their chances of getting adopted.  I provided them plenty of hugs and pets, warm beds to sleep on and people to love.  Most of all, though, I hope I provided them with a little security.  And I had a goal-- to find each of them the perfect home.  So far, I'm 2 for 2.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment